Sunday, March 18, 2012

Well, the boy is down for a nap, and here I am with my cold glass of Chardonnay, and a chance to sit down and finally make my list of what, exactly, we are trying to do with our "diet." First off, we are not calling it a "diet", because, as my husband said, then we would feel like we were "missing out". To the contrary, we have been trying a great array of new things!

Black Bean and Brown Rice Burgers on Home Made Buns with Chili Sweet Potatoes

Here is the very simple idea.


  1. Use our savings from couponing to put money back into our grocery budget for local meat and produce, and all-natural or organic foods
First visit to the Farmer's Market this year!

  1. Eat local meat
  1. Eat local produce from the farmer’s market

  1. Eat less meat and dairy

  1. Eat more plant-based foods

  1. Incorporate whole grain foods

  1. Reduce sugar. And where sugar is called for, use local honey or all-natural cane sugar

 These are not rules. They are simple guidelines that we are using to influence that way we eat. I can think of two things which led to our decision to pursue wholesome food, besides my interest in nutrition. One:  We watched some frightening documentaries on Netflix about nutrition, obesity, and the way food works in America. Two:  As I began to coupon, I realized that by doing so, we could buy very good, nutritious food without ballooning our grocery budget.

This is a transformation. It is the development of what we eat, and how we eat. I'm realizing that this is another area in life where we will always be learning, and incorporating what we learn. There is no "end result" here, only a life-long pursuit of good food and physical wellness.

I have heard some people argue that eating well will not necessarily prolong one's life. Or, if it does, perhaps only for a few years, so they would rather "enjoy" what they eat now, rather than live a few extra years. Some may also bring up that you can eat all the tomatoes you want, and you may still end up with cancer. I know. My goal is not to avoid diabetes, cancer, and heart disease. Okay, well, it is. However, even if we do end up with a chronic illness despite our efforts to eat well, I will know that I did what I could in my power to protect my family. If it doesn't prolong our lives, hey, I'm fine with that. We are excited to see Jesus! And--the years that we do have on this earth, we will be able to enjoy with more energy, better focus, great vitality, and better able to serve each other and the Lord. I want us to be able to take our kids hiking not only when they learn to walk, but also when they learn to drive.

Banana Oat Bread

So, how has our new way of eating changed us so far, in only a month? I have energy! Especially in the evening. For someone with a chronic health condition (Addison's Disease), which leads to chronic fatigue, this means a whole lot! This has been by far the greatest benefit yet. Also, I have lost the last 3 pounds of what I put on through my pregnancy with Ezekiel. Both of us have had a change in taste as well, desiring less junk food, fats. and sugars. Instead, we are naturally desiring more real food. Another benefit, less expected, has been that I am re-learning how to cook. We're learning new techniques for cooking more wholesome food. Simple things, like substituting empty-calorie ingredients for ones with more nutrition, or how to cook vegetables the way they were meant to be prepared. We are not cooking "light". Some of the dishes may simply end up being "lighter", but that is only a pleasant outcome of paying closer attention to cooking food well. It has been rough at times. A couple of dishes have failed. Like the beautiful Shiitake mushrooms we bought at the farmers market, which I later desecrated by combining with a sauce I thought would be a good idea. It turned into a curdled mess, and we ate frozen pizza that night...

Just like when I first learned how to cook. I watched my husband, who is a natural in the kitchen and just seems to understand ingredients and what will compliment each dish he throws together in a half hour. I am paying attention to details. When they fail, I move on. I try something new. We are eating better, that is what matters to me. We have not revolutionized our diet overnight. We are learning and trying new things each day, and as we do, we feel better. That is good enough for me to keep going.

Banana Oat Bread

Combine:
  • 1 cup Quick Oats
  • 1/2 cup Flour
  • 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice
  • 1/4 teaspoon Salt


Cream Together:
  • 1/2 cup Organic Sugar (or use brown sugar, but organic is delicious and nutritious)
  • 1/4 cup Honey (local is best)
  • 1/4 cup Butter (Real Butter...)
  • 1/4 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
  • 2 Eggs
  • Fold In 2 and 1/3 cups Very Ripe, Mashed Bananas (Usually about 6-8 bananas)

Stir dry mix into wet mix. Pour into greased bread pan, bake at 340 degrees for 55-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. If the bread begins to brown too much, cover with tinfoil for final 15 minutes of baking.


Grayson and I actually enjoy this bread cold rather than warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment