Thursday, March 8, 2012

Cream Eggs and Ham!

I am not one of those "breakfast for dinner" kind of people. Although I am a strong, strong advocate for a good breakfast, the idea of an omelet anytime after 10am is, in my book, a crazy person's idea. However, I am becoming a strong believer in eggs for dinner. Hold the scramble, and no "sunny side up", please. But possibly a poach, and definitely tucked in a neat little ham cup!



I found this idea in a recipe book I borrowed from the library. I was pleasantly surprised at the simplicity of the dish, and the very minimal time requirement. It's fast and easy!

The eggs and ham. Spray your cupcake pan if it is not silicone or nonstick. Tuck a thickly-sliced piece of deli ham (Virginia ham works wonderfully) into a cupcake pan. Crack an egg into the ham cup. Pour 1/2 a teaspoon of half and half over the egg. Shake some black pepper on top. Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes, or just until the egg begins to set.

Do not overbake (as I did....), or else your eggs will be over-hard. You will want them runny, so that you can mix them into your white pepper and basil mashed potatoes...






Mushrooms--a perfect first step to almost any meal. To saute mushrooms, no oil is required. As they cook, they release their own yummy mushroom juices, which is plenty enough liquid to cook with.

The shrooms.  Place mushrooms (I used plain white) into pan, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes, or until tender and browned. Add a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt, and 1/2 teaspoon of dijon mustard.


I cannot wait to see how this little guy's taste for food develops. When we began giving him solids almost three months ago, he was all game! Then, one day, he decided he had enough. Back to liquids--please! And so, for about a month, he was quite happy for milk and milk alone. I have slowly begun introducing solids again, mostly of the fruit variety, because those he will almost always eagerly accept. Today I decided to try my luck. I heated up some minty peas and zucchini puree, that, last time I made for him he liked! He took one bite today and began making some quite unpleasant faces. Then he resorted to simply pinching his lips together and blowing raspberries, which resulted in minty pea and zucchini mash flying throughout the kitchen....



The potatoes. I needed a starch. Those 3 little russet potatoes hanging out in the veggie basket needed a job. And so the mash began.

Boil your potatoes. I used russet, you can use whatever you please. I also left the skin on, just my preference. Mash them with chicken stock and some plain Greek yogurt, just until it is creamy enough for you. I added just a dollop of butter for flavor. Mix in some white pepper and dried basil.

And there it is. Egg and ham cups with white pepper and basil potatoes, and dijon mushrooms.

We're already brainstorming how to turn these nifty little cups into a fusion-style Eggs Benedict.  Mmmmmmm, Eggs Benedict.

No comments:

Post a Comment